Monday, May 23, 2011

Reasons Why I Hate Living in New Jersey

Crazy Laws- For some reason, New Jersey is a no- fault state for auto accidents. This means that a car can pull out of a parking space right into your car (when you have the right of way), and they are not automatically at fault. What!!!

Terrible Drivers- People do not stop at stop signs. That's a fact, they just roll right through. They think that if they go slow enough, that they appear to have stopped; that is until they slam into the side of your car. Of course it's a no- fault state so you still have to prove they are at fault!

Grocery Shoppers- No one moves their cart to one side or the other when they are stopped in the aisle. They not only leave it in the middle, they angle it diagonally so you can't get by even if you don't have a cart. And they aren't just stopped for a second to get something off of the shelf. No. They are standing there talking to someone they know from the neighborhood/ church/ work etc. And it's not just hi, how are you. It's a full-blown conversation. Then they look at you like YOU'RE the jerk when say excuse me.

Everything is a federal law- Apparently everything is a federal law. When we moved to New Jersey from California, we were told by the landlord that we couldn't have a gas grill, it's a federal law; that we have to recycle, it's a federal law; that we can't pick our noses on a Sunday, it's a federal law (that last one's a joke…it's really Monday that you can't pick). We had to explain what a federal law was versus, state/ city laws and landlord rules. Never knew I would have to give a Civics class when trying to rent a house. I almost started to explain how a bill becomes a law…but I figured she could watch the after school special on her own time.

It's always the end of the world- This is New Jersey. It snows here. Yet, no one is ever prepared for it. Every time there is a storm predicted, the stores are jammed, someone bought up all of the toilet paper and the plows are never out until the roads are already impassable. This is for every storm, not just the first of the season. I am from sunny San Diego and I had never lived in a snowy climate before in my life. After my first storm, I figured it out. These people have been here all of their lives…they need to get it together.

Bugs- There are too many bugs here. There, I said it. I am a smorgasbord for any biting insect within a five mile radius. I can't go outside without starting to feel anemic from all of the blood I lose. It's ridiculous!

Humidity- As a girl with curly hair, I do not like humidity and humidity does not like me. On humid days, my hair resembles a giant cloud of cotton candy and there's nothing I can do about it.

TO BE FAIR, THERE ARE A COUPLE OF THINGS ABOUT NEW JERSEY THAT ARE COOL

Seasons- There are actual seasons here. When you live in San Diego with that perfect 70 degree average, you don't realize that the leaves are supposed to change color before they fall off of the trees. It's actually really pretty.

Water (Italian) Ice and Frozen Custard- Two treats that I discovered out here. They are soooooo good! Of course, being New Jersey, you can only get them in the spring and fall because everything shuts down in the winter.

History- It is cool being near so many historical sites. There are houses here that are over 200 years old. In San Diego, most of the buildings are from the '70's, and any older than that are considered relics of the past.

As a transplanted Californian, it has been a difficult adjustment living in "the Garden State", but I am trying to cope using a little humor…although everything I wrote is the absolute truth. So wish me luck and…

Until next time…

Paulene

4 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better we have the same problems in Michigan. ALthough in Michigan people tend to be a little more polite, it's the whole Midwest thing.

    I'm going to have to pull the "federal law" thing. I'll tell my boss "I can't do that it's against the law...the federal law."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um? Don't forget how close you live to Auntie Dawn! That's a good thing about living in New Jersey.

    But she won't come to you because Auntie Dawn hates to drive up there, well...because it's New Jersey and they have crazy drivers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if I could ever get used to the no-fault law regarding car accidents....that predetermined "fault" law here is California is practically taught to grade schoolers. LOL, love your take on things Paulene and miss our chats so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Auntie Dawn may want to fill you in on the bugs she left behind in Texas. Things are bigger here in Texas, especially bugs. And the heat makes them meaner, too.

    I'm really liking your blog! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete